Thursday, February 10, 2011

Art 21 Reflection #1

Florian Maier-Aichen
 Florian Maier-Aichen is a photographer who uses a computer to combine images and also to draw and add images. He says that he likes to take an end product and take it to an unfinished photo again. In one photo he used the tri color method by taking three black and white photos with different color filters and sandwiches  three photos together to make a colorful image of clouds. He doesn't like  photos that are too precise and he also believes that each photo needs to have it's own scale. I enjoyed watching this video because I enjoyed just seeing his and other photos because photography amazes me and has always interested me. The only thing that I didn't relate to was adding background that a viewer might not realize was painted or added in because I think it's kinda like cheating the viewer in a way?

Jeff Koons.
Jeff Koons art is all about themes with flowers and central images. He works with  information with different views of life and aspects. He usually creates his images on the computer with a bunch of different sources/pictures. He himself mostly works on the computer working on perfecting the image while others mix/actually paint the picture for him. Sometimes he works with wood. Wants to communicate strongly though art with power, and veral quality. Believes that others people's rights are the same as yours and that there is a moral responcibility with art and that part was meant for public interaction. I really enjoy his paints and the detail that he puts into his work. I noticed that a lot of his work reminds me of childhood memorys like animal baloons and broken easter egg shells which relates to me because in reality, I'm still a kid.


Mary Heilmann
Mary Heilmann started out doing ceramics in collage. A while after, she started to do abstract expressionest ceramic sculptures in large scales. In the beginning she did  art beautifully by herself then realized the most important thing was communication though the art. She wanted responces of antagonism causing trouble. Wanted to be on the edge and original. Later on, she decided to become a painter. Objects became pictures for her. Every piece of art has background stories and the titles are like, "three word poems" she says. Scale, relation of parts to whole pice give feels to the painting according to her. She likes different spaces which she got out of Asian artwork and has different shaped camvas. She says her "simple ideas become her addiction." I think I enjoyed watching this episode most because Heilmann was soothing in a way and when she told stores of her youthful day it sounds kind of similar to me. She likes to be be edgy and original like I do. Abstract paintings are my favorite because they hold significance for the artist though the viewer might not fully understand the image. Though I love abstract art and think it looks amazing, I don't know if I would be able to create a simple piece of art that holds a ton of significance like some arts do.

2 comments:

  1. These responses strike a nice balance between how you relate to the work and what the work is actually about. Nice job. How about some pictures next time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure...would you like me to add them now?

    ReplyDelete