Friday, January 14, 2011

Brainstorming-Maya Angelou

I think I want to do Maya Angelou. At first I was considering myself, but had second thoughts on that idea. I'm not sure how I thought of Maya Angelou but she popped into my brain. Not only is she a poet but also a powerful speaker and an amazing woman who has gone though  rough times. She was born on April 4th, 1928, in St. Louis, Missouri but also was raised in Stamps, Arkansas where she faced discrimination due to her skin tone. Things that I can integrate into my symbolic portrait are dance and music. She worked as a waitress and cook to support her and her son after she finished high school. She toured Europe with a production of the opera Porgy and Bess so I could possibly look that up and find something to represent it. Worked with Malcome X. Martin Luther King was assassinated on her birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment